[ExI] Limiting factors of intelligence explosion speeds

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 21 10:54:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:21:26PM -0500, Richard Loosemore wrote:

> Eugen's comment -- "Run a dog for a gigayear, still no general
> relativity" -- was content-free from the outset.

Perhaps it's in the observer. Consider upgrading your parser.

> Whoever talked about building a dog-level AGI?

Canines have limits, human primates have limits.

> If a community of human-level AGIs were available today, and were able
> to do a thousand years of research in one year, that would advance our
> level of knowledge by a thousand years, between now and January 20th
> next year.

The most interesting kind of progress is the one that pushes
at your limits. Gods make faster and qualitatively different
progress than humans.

> The whole point of having an intelligence explosion is to make that rate
> of progress possible.

The whole point of intelligence explosion is to have a positive
feedback loop in self-enhancement.