[ExI] Fwd: Synthetic Biology Documentary

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 22:54:10 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Barney <keen101 at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Subject: Article: Kickstarter Project: Synthetic Biology Documentary
To: diybio at googlegroups.com

http://scienceblogs.com/oscillator/2011/01/synthetic_biology_documentary.php?utm_source=networkbanner&utm_medium=link

Direct link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/637230479/a-documentary-film-about-synthetic-biology

from the article:

"What do you get when you combine two of my favorite things, synthetic
biology and documentary film? We may never know if Sam and George
don't get the funding they need on Kickstarter!"

"I don't usually do this kind of thing, but I met these guys while
they were filming in Boston and their movie promises to be really good
and really interesting and really educational (and I might even be in
it!). You can check out some of their videos from the road on their
vimeo page, including this one from the University of Wisconsin iGEM
team"

from the kickstarter page:

A Documentary Film about Synthetic Biology

"Synthetic Biology is a new approach to genetic engineering. It can
make E. Coli bacteria smell like fresh rain, turn sunlight into
gasoline, make concrete buildings heal themselves, or goats produce
spider silk in their milk. These are strange technologies certainly,
but these examples help demonstrate what is possible and already
happening with the tools of synthetic biology."

"The goal of this project is to provide an even-handed and engaging
survey of current genetic engineering, and in particular, this
emerging field of synthetic biology. While there is still some
ambiguity about the precise definition, synthetic biology seems to
always point at a new perspective in the field of genetic science.
This new perspective comes from engineers turning their attention from
other fields towards biological sciences and the structures of DNA.
They see DNA as programmable code, cells as systems built of genetic
circuits, and biology as a platform from which manufacturing systems
can be created."

"The film will follow the ten year history of this new idea and will
explore the basic science of molecular biology, which allows for an
understanding of how the technology works. This creates a framework
for a look into how industrial technologies develop and mature, how
scientific investigation is adapted by engineering, and what exactly
the difference between science and engineering is. It also raises
questions about how life is defined, where ethical boundaries ought to
be established, and how controllable or wild nature really is."

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507