[ExI] new and improved intermittent liar

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 23 10:00:01 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Subject: Re: [ExI] new and improved intermittent liar

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> Ordinarily if one says "a month ago" on 15 October, one means 15
September.
>> But what if one says "a month from now" on 31 October?  What day is that?
>> What if one says "six months from now" on October 31st?

>Actually, there is a convention for that.  If you specify "month", then you
are only passing the month-to-month transition the specified number of
times.

>"A month from now" on October 31st is November 30th, since that is the span
of one full "month" - to wit, November.

>"Six months from now" on October 31st is April 30th, for the same reason...
Adrian

Ja, good catch.  What I need then is this:

Larry lies on vowel months and truths on consonant months.  His brother
Darrel is even more dishonest, truthing only on vowel months and lying on
consonant months.

Larry comments:  I lied a month ago.  I will lie again 180 days from now.

Darrel comments:  Larry is lying now.

How can this be?

That version kinda gives away what I had in mind and has multiple correct
answers, but actually is a better puzzle.  It shouldn't be too hard to
figure out all the possibilities with this version.