[ExI] Faecal transplant. No, really.

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 20:51:15 UTC 2011

I read an article in New Scientist this week about how doctors were experimenting on treating a variety of conditions by changing their intestinal bacteria via "faecal transplant". I was a little skeptical, but the research quoted exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy has a good set of references with links to papers on treating bowel conditions. However, the New Scientist article includes experimental therapy for Parkinson's, which makes you wonder how much interaction there is between our brain, our immmune system and the vast ecosystem that is our digestive tract.

Tom