[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:54:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Max, shall I desist posting these notions forthwith?  Plopping this into the
> public domain, we run the risk of some yahoo running to the patent office
> with it, ja?

1) If some yahoo does run to the patent office, inspired by your post?  You've
got provable prior art - and as such, if he does get a patent, a case to simply
take his patent away from him (and into your pocket) wholesale, or at least
invalidate his patent.  Your evidence?  *These very posts.*

2) Do you seriously believe no one has ever had a thought similar to what you
pose before?  Getting a patent involves far, FAR more than merely having and
stating an idea.

3) If you have the idea, and squelch discussion of it, you will not develop it
any further in the near term, guaranteed.  Meanwhile, someone else, having
been inspired by the same sources but not as paranoid, might develop it and
seek a patent.

Those who advise secrecy know how to stop leaks and reduce the chances
that someone else will develop X.  Those equations change drastically when
your objective is not, "I want to develop X and get all the money from it", but
rather, "I want X to be developed and commercialized ASAP, so that anyone
who would like to take advantage of X can do so".

I am increasingly seeing that the concept, where one can achieve
meaningful benefit from the commercialization of a technology whether or not
oneself gained financially from that commercialization, seems to be a new,
alien thing to established business structures.  But I am also increasingly
seeing that I am not alone in seeing technologies where I materially, even
financially, benefit even if someone else rakes in the direct monetary profits.