[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 00:29:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> ... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 06:03:33PM -0500, Mike Dougherty wrote:
>
>>> I'm fine with the concept of frozen heads in a tank.  It was the
>
>>The proper term is patients. Neuropatients, specifically. There are very
> good reasons to avoid using other terms...Eugen
>
> Ja.  We must keep in mind that Alcor is actually (and primarily for many
> people) a mortuary.  In many if not most cases, the patient is the strong
> believer in the notion of cryonics, but the family of the patient is not.
> They play along to carry out the wishes of the (likely wealthy) deceased.
> So we need to pay attention to the emotional and even spiritual needs of the
> family, even if we would prefer to think of Alcor as a hospital for geeks,
> rather than a trendy spendy mortuary.

Thanks for the "proper term" and admonition to use it in place of
alternatives.

Aside from the careful storage, is there intent to restore faculty at
some later date?  That would make the promise sound like a kind of
one-way time travel of a duration not otherwise feasible.  We've
discussed that some people would likely be willing to travel one-way
through space for the sake of an incredible adventure - wouldn't a
great distance in time be a similarly incredible experience?

I know, the average person isn't likely to think of it this way.