[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jan 30 20:18:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 01:39:10PM -0500, John Clark wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
>
> > I don't know if cracking can be solved or not.  It's partly an
> > engineering problem and partly an economic problem.
>
> It would seem to me that cracking in the brain would not be a very serious problem because it would be pretty obvious where the 2 sides of the crack used to be and how they should be lined-up to be repaired. Astronomically more devastating would be any micro-flow in the freezing organ that undergoes turbulence, because untangling a chaotic process and figuring out how things were arranged before the freezing induced turbulence occurred would be very hard, practically impossible, even for a Jupiter Brain.

A frequent damage mode is growth of ice needles, creating an
interdigitated volume, eventually enclosed, which in conjuction
with volume expansion creates very high pressures in the enclosed
volume and rapid flow through the interdigitated needles and
channels across potentially large (100-1000 um) distances.

In general you see large regions of ice with small compressed
volumes of original tissue -- a very striking difference from
vitrified tissue, which appears essentially identical to controls.

Information erasure in physical processes is possible, and in
fact it happens frequently. (The information leaves the volume
at the speed of light, so you need effectively omniscient
and omnipotent systems to reverse -- while the Omega point
theory has been falsified).