[ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams.

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:04:18 UTC 2011

>There is not one scrap of evidence that a teapot is in orbit around the
planet Uranus and there is not one scrap of evidence that there is not such
a vessel; nevertheless I do not treat both possibilities with equal respect
so I am not a Uranus teapot agnostic.<

A teapot agnostic says "I don't have enough data to determine whether the
teapot exists so I can't form an opinion." And by the way," he adds,"neither
do you, so don't come around here with your teapot notions and waste my
time." See my point? Respect has nothing to do with it. You allot each
position as a possibility, but that's not the same thing as respecting those
who hold that position.  It would be quite natural to be agnostic and think
that both belief or non-belief in the teapot  and the time spent considering
it was irrational and a monumental waste of time, energy and human
brainpower precisely because there wasn't enough data to support the
argument either way.

Darren

2011/1/31 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> On Jan 30, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Darren Greer wrote:
>
> I don't see why an agnostic by definition should accord respect to a
> believer or non-believer.
>

> There is not one scrap of evidence that a teapot is in orbit around the
> planet Uranus and there is not one scrap of evidence that there is not such
> a vessel; nevertheless I do not treat both possibilities with equal respect
> so I am not a Uranus teapot agnostic. I am a teapot atheist.
>
>   John K Clark

*"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The
'hard' is what makes it great."*
*
*
*--A League of Their Own