[ExI] AGI (and other) IQ test

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 19:46:33 UTC 2011

See <http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-universal-intelligence.html>

which links to

José Hernández-Oralloa, *, E-mail The Corresponding Author and David L.
Doweb, E-mail The Corresponding Author

a Departament de Sistemes Informàtics i Computació, Universitat
Politècnica de València, Camí de Vera s/n, E-46022, València, Spain

b Computer Science & Software Engineering, Clayton School of I.T.,
Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, 3800, Australia
Received 16 December 2009;
revised 24 September 2010;
accepted 24 September 2010.
Available online 29 September 2010.

Abstract

In this paper, we develop the idea of a universal anytime intelligence
test. The meaning of the terms “universal” and “anytime” is manifold
here: the test should be able to measure the intelligence of any
biological or artificial system that exists at this time or in the
future. It should also be able to evaluate both inept and brilliant
systems (any intelligence level) as well as very slow to very fast
systems (any time scale). Also, the test may be interrupted at any time,
producing an approximation to the intelligence score, in such a way that
the more time is left for the test, the better the assessment will be.
In order to do this, our test proposal is based on previous works on the
measurement of machine intelligence based on Kolmogorov complexity and
universal distributions, which were developed in the late 1990s (C-tests
and compression-enhanced Turing tests). It is also based on the more
recent idea of measuring intelligence through dynamic/interactive tests
held against a universal distribution of environments. We discuss some
of these tests and highlight their limitations since we want to
construct a test that is both general and practical. Consequently, we
introduce many new ideas that develop early “compression tests” and the
more recent definition of “universal intelligence” in order to design
new “universal intelligence tests”, where a feasible implementation has
been a design requirement. One of these tests is the “anytime
intelligence test”, which adapts to the examinee's level of intelligence
in order to obtain an intelligence score within a limited time.