[ExI] Philanthropy

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 18:19:29 UTC 2011

Those who don't believe libertarianism can work often state that the
richest among us are greedy. As a balance to that point of view, I
respectfully submit this web site:

http://www.givingpledge.org/

It's an interesting concept. All of the people on this list are
billionaires. I counted 69 people on the list and this is a pretty new
idea.

According to Forbes, there are just over 1000 billionaires world wide,
408 in America. Most of the people I recognized in the giving pledge
list were Americans.
http://www.rferl.org/content/Forbes_Rich_List_Number_Of_New_Billionaires_Reflects_Global_Recovery/1980413.html

Interestingly, Carlos Slim, the new richest man in the world says he
can do more good for the world in business than in philanthropy.
Perhaps he is right. But the point is that it should be (and for now
is) his choice how to use his money. He still thinks he's doing good
in the world, and probably he is. Employing Mexicans in Mexico is
probably a pretty good idea, honestly. :-)

-Kelly