[ExI] Social right to have a living

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jul 2 01:32:20 UTC 2011

On 07/01/2011 11:45 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>> 2011/7/1 Stefano Vaj<stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
>>> Wrong. You seem to equate corporate state-ism with libertarian views.
>>> Corporate state conglomeration is fascism, not libertarianism.
>> This might well be the case (actually, "state corporativism" IMHO describes
>> better fascism, rather than the other way around, but this is not the issue
>> here), even though this scenario need not be neither more, nor less,
>> totalitarian than our average State today.
>>
>> My real point however is: how a radically libertarian view could ever
>> prevent a company from going down this path? And if the end result is
>> neither better nor worse than our average State today, what's the point?
>>
>> I am referring to the kind of libertarian view which postulates that we can
>> go without a State legal system at all, not to more moderate ones.
> Stefano, There you go again... :-)
>
> The "kind of libertarian view" you are speaking of in Anarchy.

I am an anarcho-capitalist.  Anarchy, in case anyone is confused, means
without the State.  It does not mean chaos though most may have
difficulty imagining a stateless society that is not chaotic.   I am
libertarian (small l) in the sense that I hold the NAP as one of the
most concise correct statements of proper human interaction ever
conceived.  I am not a Libertarian in that the party is no longer the
"Party of Principles".   Nominating an ex drug czar as presidential
candidate was the final irrevocable proof for me.

> Libertarianism is no more anarchy than it is fascism. If you define
> libertarianism as anything that seems dangerous, then you aren't going
> to like it. My definition of libertarianism is most closely
> approximated in the real world by the VERY early United States. That
> is, there are very few laws, but the laws that exist are followed by
> the majority of the citizenry, and are respected. In part, the law is
> respected when it is understood by the citizen. When the law is so
> voluminous that not only the citizen can not read it, but even the
> lawmaker is challenged, then this is FAR from the libertarian ideal.

Where is the "principle" in that?  Is it merely very few laws or the
proper kind of laws adhering to the missing and not mentioned principles?

> So government yes, absolutely you need government.

No, you don't.

>   But the very
> smallest amount that can possibly do. Just enough to prevent invasion,
> and protect me from my fellow citizens when they run amok.

I can protect myself. So can you. The rest is a matter of voluntary
agreements.

> So no, I am not an anarchist. I am a libertarian! (As a libertarian, I
> get to define what that means to me, this being one of the greatest
> benefits of being a libertarian... ;-)  (kidding, just a little bit
> here.)

Unfortunately it is only a little bit as libertarian now means very
little you can pin many libertarians (and certainly not the Party) down on.

- samantha