[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jul 2 08:19:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 11:11:57PM -0400, Mike Dougherty wrote:

> So what?  If google decided to make AGI the relevant keyword tomorrow
> your "metric" would be inverted.

Google doesn't decide, it's just tracking frequency of what
terms people publish.

> I don't use the word "normalcy" because I think it sounds stupid.
> That's hardly going to stop anyone else from using it.  The louder I
> complain about those who say things like "can't wait 'till things get
> back to normalcy 'round here" the more I sound equally stupid to them.

This isn't a Humpty Dumpty world. You see from the trend alone
whether this is a pointless churn/rebranding, or a genuine novelty.
The trend is flat, and the names associated never did anything
interesting. It's dead, Jim.

> You don't like the term "AGI"?  Don't use it.  If context requires a

Guess what, nobody outside a very small bowl does.

> disambiguation between narrow AI, wide AI, some other kind of
> run-of-the-mill AI and the super-special kind of AI that warrants it's
> own moniker, let's use AI+.  And when that loses all meaning/nuance,
> the bleeding edge nerds will have to further differentiate their cool
> new thing with AI++ or AI# or double-AI-plus or somesuch.

There's no new cool thing. That's the glory. (And by glory I mean
'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!').