[ExI] AI Motivation revisited.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:57:29 UTC 2011

2011/7/1 Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>
> One way to look at this is that when we "emulate" computers, by say doing math in our head, we do it at a rate that is thousands (if not millions) of times slower. Similarly when computers emulate the pattern recognition tasks that we are good at, they are thousands of times slower than us...

I am not sure that we emulate computers when we do math, as we
obviously do not when we play chess, unless of course we deliberately
choose to do so. But yes, whatever the strategies concerned might be,
contemporary processors and even much simpler device have a
significant edge over us.

> The difference of course is that computers keep getting faster, and we stay the same (so far). Therefore, even if computers are thousands of times slower at pattern recognition, someday computers will be thousands of times faster than they are today, and then eventually a trillion times faster.

"Fast" remains however a meaningful term only measured against a
specific task. For instance, GPUs are in a sense much faster than
CPUs, but it may well not be efficient to abandon the CPUs altogether.

--
Stefano Vaj