[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 15:24:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/2 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>
> We are in agreement on the "dilettantes" dreaming up obscure words.  A
> recent new hire is apparently a Battlestar Galactica fan because when
> he is frustrated to the point of swearing he loudly exclaims "Frak!"

I'll have you know that Mormon missionaries have been using Frak in
this fashion for well over thirty years... :-)  It is a pretty common
Utahism. Battlestar Galactica no doubt stole it as they have many
other elements of Mormonism... :-)  But I digress.

All words have two meanings in a given usage. The meaning that the
speaker intended, and the meaning that the listener understood. As
long as those two meanings approximate each other, communication
occurs. Otherwise, confusion abounds. Words are good for nothing more
or less than this.

-Kelly