[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:53:22 UTC 2011

2011/7/5 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>
> On Tue, 7/5/11, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
>  "the process will never finish but for trivial problem sizes."
>
> It irritates me when people say something like "never finish" when all they mean is it will take a long time. It also bothers me when the word "infinite" is used when what is meant is very very very large; the two things have quite different properties.

John,

  While we have many billions of years ahead of us, there does come a
time in the history of the universe that there is no longer any useful
energy gradient left. It's all slowly evaporating black holes and
other useless stuff like neutron stars at the end... Entropy wins in
the end, so time does matter, at least in the VERY long run. There
will be no intelligence in the universe at some point.

-Kelly