[ExI] Homelessness (was Re: Social right to have a living)

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jul 5 17:35:14 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike

>>...The US are a pretty weird culture, where people who cannot afford
>what is required to build a hut or the ticket for a shelter may still own a
car...

>...It might seem weird, but once you ponder it, living in a car makes
complete sense...spike

Another angle on it: if you were to have a piece of ground somewhere where
you can do it, and needed to set up some kind of shelter from indigenous
materials, a non-functional old car or van would be an excellent choice as a
bedroom.  It is wind and rain proof, or can be made so, it usually already
has some of the things you might need or want, such as two padded chairs for
instance, you can push or pull it into place if you can get someone to help
you, it affords some thermal protection, better than a lean-to.

If you want to see a number of people who have apparently come to this same
conclusion and have incorporated old cars and vans into a living structure,
go out south and east of Phoenix and Mesa Arizona.  There are hundreds of
people who have set up a combination of car/lean-to arrangements and appear
to be living out there.  It has been a long time since I have been down that
way.  Have we any Phoenix-hipsters here who know if those extended squatter
villages are still out that way?