[ExI] Inevitability of the Singularity (was Re: To Max, re Natasha and Extropy (Kevin Haskell)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:32:40 UTC 2011

On 5 July 2011 17:55, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> My point is that what people perceive currently to be in their self
> interest is unlikely to turn on a dime.

I am not sure I understand the idiom, but my point is that perceived
self-interest may equally create a "market demand" for Singularity as
for regression to paleolithic scenarios...

> The thing is that by the time the meme is widespread enough to prevent
> the Singularity, it will already be too late for most people to change
> their minds.

Let us hope so. My concern is that contrary to the opinion widespread
in the H+ circles the momentum of change is not that of an object
merrily flying in intergalactic space out of any resisting influence,
is actually more similar to that of a man trying to run in quicksand.
A constant, overhuman effort is required to keep it up.

Past success (sometimes against all bets...) may be an encouragement,
but has no predictive value as to what is going to happen in the
future. Especially if we chose to rest on our great past laurels and
expect Kurzweil's curves to land automagically a Singularity or
another on our lap.

--
Stefano Vaj