[ExI] the myth of the US "liberal media"

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 20:23:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/2011 1:15 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>>>
>>> You think there are posts here from "near communists"? What's an example?
>>
>> Jeff Davis described himself the other day with these words:

>> While that is not communist, it's in the the same basic neighborhood.
>
> Jeff Davis a *communist*?! Mwahahahaha.

I can't wait to be torn limb from limb... :-/

> I'm sure Jeff will provide his own inimitable commentary, but I'd parse that
> as:
>
> "hard left" = "much tougher minded than squish soft feel-good Kumbaya left,"

OK. So what is the definition of "left". My understanding is that the
first leftist was Robin Hood. Steal from the rich give to the poor. Is
there some other definition of left that I am unfamiliar with?

> and "progressive" (in what I gather is its original sense, the sense that
> Heinlein was originally one**) means "proceeding by steps, not by an
> instantaneous and bloody overthrow of current oppressions." Obviously it
> also has overtones of "progress is good change, stationary is dull, reaction
> against change is bad," where all these value-terms are themselves up for
> semantic grabs.

I assumed he meant it in the same sense Hillary Clinton uses
progressive to define her position.

> **see William Patterson's fascinating biography, part 1 (1907-1948), of
> Heinlein.
>
> Damien Broderick

-Kelly