[ExI] Inevitability of the Singularity (was Re: To Max, re Natasha and Extropy (Kevin Haskell)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:10:35 UTC 2011

On 12 July 2011 16:45, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> > Moreover, some of those have been periods blossoming with innovation and
> > growth.
>
> I have serious issues with people dismissing some potential
> two billion loss to starvation and war as no big deal.

I am not saying that two billion deaths are no big deal. Just saying that if
last time that Greenland was green was a very happy period, and now a few
centigrades while not really an x-risk might actually represent a
catastrophic prospective this should give us pause.

> > One should however consider whether the actual risk is such a change, or
> > rather the implied,  increasing fragilisation/sclerosis of our economic
> and
> > civilisational framework, which may easily lead to scenarios where only
> > absolute, unlikely stability (and stagnation) of all factors can prevent
> > catastrophic developments. This, btw, sounds as a distinctly
> > anti-transhumanist prospective...
>
> Extremely unlikely stability. We're up to our ears in alligators for the
> foreseeable future.

It is because of that that my bets remain on change and becoming. Because of
that, and because I have no great interest in continuing a history where
nothing more would happen.

--
Stefano Vaj