[ExI] the myth of the US "liberal media"

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Jul 14 02:09:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Damien Broderick wrote:

[...]

> It was my hope that by reposting the John Pilger article I'd provoke some more
> nuanced discussion of the ways in which exactly this kind of foolishness
> pervades USian perceptions of the media, but hardly anyone responded to its
> substance. (Note that Pilger, a man clearly of the left, was originally shut
> out *without formal bans* because of his *attacks* on *Pol Pot* and on US
> involvement with that disgusting communist regime.)
>
> Damien Broderick

About the substance. I think that giving Pilger some explanation about
their actions would show organisers in better light. True, there is power
asymmetry which asks for a bit of mutual respect (also called good
manners sometimes). If I am to believe Pilgers' version, he didn't show
disrespect but was not returned the favor. Only much later was he told why
he had been treated in such way.

Liberal or not, showing a bit of respect wouldn't hurt at all. Some people
explain their decisions to their children and dogs, so the case described
in an article allows us to see a bit.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola