[ExI] East African Rift Valley again

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:41:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 2:13 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Damien Broderick  wrote:
>> On 7/15/2011 12:03 AM, kellycoinguy wrote:
>>
>>> There is a prophecy that when Jesus returns... There will be a huge
>>> earthquake that will split the temple mount and that water will run from
>>> there to the dead sea making it's waters sweet. I don't recall where it
>>> comes from... Maybe Revelations?
>>
>> I'm guessing you mean the biblical Book of Revelation (unless there's some
>> other "holy book" called "Revelations"?). There's no such text in
>> Revelation, although there are any number of earthquakes. Rivers tended to
>> come to a bad end, as in
>>
>> "And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and
>> the water thereof was dried up"
>>
>> What say you, Pastor Spike?
>>

> It is a combination of verses from two 'End Times' prophecies when God
> will return to restore the Jews as rightful rulers of the world and
> destroy their enemies. (Old Testament prophets tended to be a bit
> biased).
>
> Zechariah Chapter 14
> 3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as
> when He fighteth in the day of battle.
> 4 And His feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which
> is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleft
> in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, so that
> there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall
> remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
> 8 And it shall come to pass in that day, that living waters shall go
> out from Jerusalem: half of them toward the eastern sea, and half of
> them toward the western sea; in summer and in winter shall it be.
>
> Ezekiel 47:8
> And he said to me, “This water flows toward the eastern region and
> goes down into the Arabah, and enters the sea; when the water flows
> into the sea, the water will become fresh.
>
> ---------------
>

> Note: These verses do not come with a guarantee.    ;}

Thanks for pointing out the original sources! I hadn't remembered
where it came from.

The point is that building this canal will come with some prophetic
overhead. I don't think you can take a dump in this area without
prophetic overhead... so if they can get the money, and do the
engineering, then I say go for it.

What would be very interesting to calculate would be how much water
could be evaporated, and how much power could be generated from such a
facility. (Recognizing as another poster said that it is not a
perpetual motion machine, but a large solar project).

As for flooding the rift valley, I would have a real problem with
that... I think it is a world heritage site because of the early human
fossils. The information lost about our evolution would be
irretrievable.

I can imagine the typical anti-capitalists disguised as
environmentalists will strive mightily to fighteth against the
development of the dead sea, even though it isn't much to write home
about. You would also have to replace the minerals that are now mined
there somewhere else (not to mention financially compensating the
folks who would have their living's disrupted by having their
evaporation ponds and other lands flooded).

So here's an interesting exercise for Samantha... if this were being
developed in your ideal governmental form, how would that compensation
be worked out? How do you get the social benefits of eminent domain in
an anarchy? Do you assume it will all be worked out with voluntary
contracts? I think that is unlikely seeing how this is the middle
east, and people there are VERY attached to their little pieces of
dirt.

-Kelly