[ExI] and speaking of exponential singularities...

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 02:36:08 UTC 2011

Spike wrote:
>The crisis for the SDA church is that membership growth is mostly outside
>the US, Canada and Australia.

The Mormon Church has a similar problem.  Growth in Latin America is great
(seen as a mixed blessing), and baptisms in Africa are beginning to really
take off.  The only nation in Europe with really strong gains is England.
Germany was once seen as a moderate stronghold of Mormonism (by European
standards), but the numbers have shrunk there.  Mormon leadership dearly
looks forward to sending missionaries to mainland China, and supposedly
negotiations are moving steadily forward.

I have friends who served missions in Russia and the Ukraine.  A goodly
number of young women have joined there, but not many young men, which can
lead to problems.  The young full-time elders are warned to "lock their
hearts" and not try to find themselves a mate there.  I think the Church
should just help all the girls to immigrate to Provo, Utah and attend
Brigham Young University... lol

John