[ExI] organic olympics, was: RE: the myth of the US "liberal media"

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 12:01:32 UTC 2011

On 16 July 2011 20:20, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Ja.  I propose we have two separate classes of competition.

This has been debated for a while in the Italian H+ list.

In fact, we may well have "special competition" rules with handicaps
or restrictions (see car races, horses, "instant" chess, golf, etc.),
but no matter how severe or complex they are, they will simply
re-orient the "R&D" effort to what is not (yet) forbidden.

Now, the point is simply to be aware of it, because some of the
effects may be welcome (say, developing more efficient, rather than
bigger, engines for car races), but some other may simply be
distorsive, and direct the push towards solutions which aren't by any
means more interesting or less dangerous or more creative, but simply
harder to detect.

"Natural" of course has little to do with all that in any event.

--
Stefano Vaj