[ExI] organic olympics, was: RE: the myth of the US "liberal media"

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jul 17 16:09:17 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Subject: Re: [ExI] organic olympics, was: RE: the myth of the US "liberal
media"

>> Ja.  I propose we have two separate classes of competition.  The
>> regular Olympics, anything goes, any kind of performance enhancing
>> whatever they want, all is welcome.  Then as a separate class of
> competition, we keep the old school notion of not using anything,
> ... Propose calling that the Organic Olympics.
>... New equipment gives rise to X-Games type sports, which are very
interesting, novel, and fun. I just LOVE the new heavy duty pogo sticks!
That looks like some ride!  -Kelly

The X-games and the Japanese take on this are two good examples of what I
propose.  In all the typical professional sports, the techniques are too
well understood, so the top players are nearly indistinguishable.  I want
games where the optimal strategy isn't well known, or is being invented
realtime.  That injects a certain element of chance into sports, but think
of it like professional golf vs miniature golf.  The latter introduces
enough randomness to make it interesting.  The good golfers do better of
course in the long run, but yesterday on a particular hole, my five year old
scored a hole in one, on the same hole that both his parents still hadn't
managed to sink the ball after six strokes.

Some of the stuff they do on the Japanese games looks like a lot of fun for
the non-athlete.  I see this as valuable, since the opportunity cost of
getting good enough to compete professionally in *any* of the mainstream
sports is so great, it really only applies to a few people.  We could invent
sports where any reasonably good athlete could become world class in a
summer.  We have all these channels on TV now and all these websites.  Seems
to me we could proliferate sports wildly to match.