[ExI] and speaking of exponential singularities...

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 22:20:08 UTC 2011

On 7/18/2011 4:26 PM, Tom Nowell wrote:

> But there's an insidious group sending out young boys to try and steal my soul. They send out "elders" who look too young to shave out on to the streets in pairs. They seem to preferentially target white anglo-saxon types, and if you mention you're a christian they excitedly try to get you to read a book of a "bible" that doesn't look like any bible you've ever read. (Is it a sign you're approaching middle age when elders look incredibly young?)
>
> These people are the multi-level marketers of religion. They are the charity muggers of religion. They are the supermarket hustlers of religion. "would you like our free catalogue", "can you spare a minute for human rights across the world" , "can you spare two pounds a month for children in africa" , "have you heard of the book of mormon?"

There's also the quite incredible gullibility/stupidity of people who
devote their lives to hokum that a child could show was concocted by a
scammer (as with $cientology), since the fraudulence of the thing is a
matter of fairly recent historical record.

Consider this charming episode reported by Christopher Hitchens in GOD
IS NOT GREAT:

<In March 1826 a court in Bainbridge, New York, convicted a
twenty-one-year-old man of being "a disorderly person and an impostor."
That ought to have been all we ever heard of Joseph Smith, who at trial
admitted to defrauding citizens by organizing mad gold-digging
expeditions and also to claiming to possess dark or "necromantic"
powers. However, within four years he was back in the local newspapers
(all of which one may still read) as the discoverer of the "Book of Mormon."

…Smith refused to show the golden plates to anybody, claiming that for
other eyes to view them would mean death. But he encountered a problem
that will be familiar to students of Islam. He was extremely glib and
fluent as a debater and story-weaver, as many accounts attest. But he
was illiterate, at least in the sense that while he could read a little,
he could not write. A scribe was therefore necessary to take his
inspired dictation. This scribe was at first his wife Emma and then,
when more hands were necessary, a luckless neighbor named Martin Harris.
Hearing Smith cite the words of Isaiah 29, verses 11-12, concerning the
repeated injunction to "Read," Harris mortgaged his farm to help in the
task and moved in with the Smiths. He sat on one side of a blanket hung
across the kitchen, and Smith sat on the other with his translation
stones, intoning through the blanket. As if to make this an even happier
scene, Harris was warned that if he tried to glimpse the plates, or look
at the prophet, he would be struck dead.

Mrs. Harris was having none of this, and was already furious with the
fecklessness of her husband. She stole the first hundred and sixteen
pages and challenged Smith to reproduce them, as presumably—given his
power of revelation—he could. (Determined women like this appear far too
seldom in the history of religion.) After a very bad few weeks, the
ingenious Smith countered with another revelation. He could not
replicate the original, which might be in the devil's hands by now and
open to a "satanic verses" interpretation. But the all-foreseeing Lord
had meanwhile furnished some smaller plates, indeed the very plates of
Nephi, which told a fairly similar tale. With infinite labor, the
translation was resumed, with new scriveners behind the blanket as
occasion demanded, and when it was completed all the original golden
plates were transported to heaven, where apparently they remain to this
day. >

Good on Mrs. Harris, a woman with the elementary commonsense apparently
denied the pests who upset Tom Nowell!

Damien Broderick