[ExI] Human Enhancement & Life Extension: Alchemists of the future

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jul 20 16:40:44 UTC 2011

Alchemy produced a quite large number of useful results during the
middle ages but really took off and was transformed when it was forced
into the open by Boyle and the others - as long as it was secretive,
craftmanlike knowledge it did not develop much of a theory despite
possibly shared ambitions between different alchemists. The chemists
turned it into a science, but did sever it from the original ambitions
(some of which were just mistaken like gold transmutation, others which
were sensible but too hard, like the elixir of life).

I think one can see a similarity to what happened to nanotechnology when
it got NNI funding.

The core alchemical ideas of transformation and transmutation are still
around, it is just that these days we actually are starting to see
adequate tools for them. Maybe the desires and visions always come
first, produce a messy area of protoscience (if even that), followed by
a consolidation period of real science with no place for the visions,
and finally - if the field is lucky and the visions not too parochial
for an era - technology that allow people to actually pursue the visions.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute