[ExI] Moooon

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 05:41:35 UTC 2011

Attention Will Steinberg!  Attention Will Steinberg!  Messing with Dr.
Damien Broderick will result in his extro-list homies gettin' all up in your
face!!!  D.B. is our main man, and people diss him at their peril!!!  : )

I felt a great deal of frustration and sadness from posters as I read
this thread, regarding humanity not having a permanent base on the Moon.
But I think that old standby of our species, national rivalry and
competition, shall save the day! lol  China is intent on putting people on
the Moon and also building a permanent base there, and once they really
start moving things forward, the U.S. will feel threatened and then
finally provide the resources for an American (plus allies) base.

An Excerpt from* China's Military Modernization: Building for Regional and
Global Reach,* by Richard D. Fisher Jr.:

In 2007 China plans to launch its first of several Moon probes as part of
the

Chang’e program. This will eventually include the use of a robot to gather
Moon

samples for return to Earth. In 2006 Chinese officials reviewed Russian
space

technology to control its Moon missions,118 and this could potentially lead

cooperation in manned Moon exploration technology. Although China has not

revealed in official form its manned Moon programs, China appears to have

many programs to create the vehicles necessary to carry out this mission.
One

report notes that China may undertake circumlunar Shenzhou missions in the

2015 time frame and then send people to the Moon around 2020 or after.119 In

late 2007 one Chinese military journal contained illustrations of expansive

Chinese Moon bases, indicating at least some element of Chinese aspiration.
120

Barring negotiations that settle boundaries and insist on demilitarization
on the

Moon, much as there have been similar agreements regarding Antarctica, it is

probable that China will develop the means to claim and defend Moon
territory,

especially if the Moon becomes an economically viable source of mineral or
energy

wealth. Furthermore, if intelligence, surveillance, or combat-oriented
outposts on

the Moon become strategically advantageous, it is likely that the PLA will
pursue

such advantages for China. The Moon could serve as a base for high-power
radar,

and in the vacuum of space, large laser weapons could accomplish more damage

at greater distances than in the atmosphere of Earth. In early 2008 a
popular

Chinese military issues Web site suggested that basing lasers on the Moon
could

help overcome the challenges of atmospheric distortion faced by Earth-bound

lasers when attacking satellites.121 That such is not far-fetched is
illustrated by a

2005 Chinese academic journal article that explored the feasibility of a
laser

linkage between the Earth and the Moon for communication purposes.122
*

*I hope the Moon is able to stay demilitarized...
John