[ExI] solar power tower

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jul 23 08:48:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:45:52AM -0700, Max More wrote:

> Covering part of Alcor's roof with solar cells might be worthwhile. We don't
> need electricity for patient storage purposes, of course, but it could help

There is now technology allowing you to compensate a BigFoot boiloff
on a small enough energy footprint so that it can be run off a few-kW
PV panel. It doesn't rectificate liquid air but uses a vacuum
absorber for nitrogen separation (same technology as oxygen generators).

The advantage is not the price, but LN delivery independence.

Of course Alcor has others, more pressing problems at the moment.