[ExI] Why no space colonies or lunar bases? was Mooon.

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Sat Jul 23 13:34:20 UTC 2011

I wrote:

>I would be very dubious about a space elevator on this planet.
>There are too many loons who'd want to destroy it, and too
>much uncertainty about what would happen if they tried.

Stefano replied:

>I especially have doubts that the science of materials may ever
>deliver a fiber capable of operating it.

A space elevator is technically feasible on bodies with lower
gravity, where the demands on its materials are not as severe,
but there's no way to ensure that all the loons stay on this
planet.

In designing anything, I believe in no single point of failure for
any vital system and prefer designs with inherent massive
parallelism.

-- David.