[ExI] Extropian sf writers

*Nym* nymphomation at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 19:09:51 UTC 2011

2011/7/23 Michael LaTorra <mlatorra at gmail.com>:
> As you say, Anders, we could label Stross as a sort of heretic Extropian who pokes fun at various transhumanist ideas and
> obsessions.

I think you could say the same of Ken MacLeod's Fall Revolution
series, especially The Stone Canal & Cassini Division. Uploading
enthusiasts and their AI offspring, and also greens, are thoroughly
demonised in those two. I found it amusing that Stross & MacLeod
covered very similar territory, though MacLeod was writing 5 or 10
years earlier. They also seem to have overlapping social circles in
Edinburgh, so I wonder if they got together to compare notes..?

:o)

Heavy splashings,
Thee Nymphomation

'If you cannot afford an executioner, a duty executioner
will be appointed to you free of charge by the court'