[ExI] Why no space colonies or lunar bases? was Mooon.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 15:04:34 UTC 2011

On 23 July 2011 19:35, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/7/23 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> > Let us say for instance that they can be used for once
>
> Not happening.
>
> If a thing is developed and used once, it will, inevitably, be used again.
>
> This is true even of nuclear weapons.

If this is true, as far as nuclear explosions in the Earth atmosphere are
concerned, the cat has been out of the bag for a while now. And when France
decided they were not ready to put it back yet, they made their own
experiments even though this was considered as "politically impossible".

This does not imply by any means that Project Orion vehicles will ever be
manufactured. Heck, even though they had been used many more times than
once, actually for more than a decade, even supersonic civilian planes do
not exist anymore.

But the truth is that the Moon might be OK for space elevators, Jupiterians
would not even be tempted to go the way of chemical rockets, Earthlings
might find itself right on the delusional edge that the latter might be OK
to bootstrap ourselves out of our gravitational well and waste too much time
and resources playing with them.

--
Stefano Vaj