[ExI] Why no space colonies or lunar bases? was Mooon. (Keith Henson)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 09:56:09 UTC 2011

On 25 July 2011 04:53, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/7/24 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> > Neither was the switch from hunting-and-gathering to agriculture and
> animal
> > breeding... :-)
>
> Actually, it was.  There weren't a lot of people objecting to it.

Or rather, there is not much trace left of those who objected to it... :-)

With a few notable exceptions in very secluded or peculiar areas,
hunter-gatherers have been systematically wiped from the scene by neolithic
societies, which rapidly destroyed their environment, exterminated them in
more direct fashions exactly as it was done with other big predators, and
overwhelmed them demographically.

This does not imply that people having qualms with environmental
consequences of Project Orion vehicles would necessarily go the way of those
who objected to the destruction of virgin forests for the purpose of
planting cereals or breeding cattle. In fact, the opposite may actually be
much more likely, in the current cultural climate.

What I suggest is that sometimes those with a vision, who stubbornly refuse
to wander, go on "wasting" seeds to grow plants and support the unpleasant
pollution of their animals manure and parasites, sometimes manage to achieve
perfectly unrealistic civilisational changes.

--
Stefano Vaj