[ExI] Libertarianism wins again...

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 17:42:39 UTC 2011

2011/7/25 Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com>

> For the record, I don't believe that's what Socrates believed -- if Plato's
> works are any guide. It seems to me he believed there were moral truths that
> were discoverable by reason and that were not inventions of the gods (or
> God), social convention, or the state. (One need not agree with his
> particular moral claims here or even with his particular methods to agree
> with this wider point.)

Does not change much, does it? The real issue is whether one believes in
self-determination and diversity or in value systems which are allegedly
eternal and universal, irrespective of whether they are revealed (albeit
obviously not established) by God, by inner outrage or by Reason.

Let us say that anti-transhumanists are invariably in the second camp, and
they may play one or another of such cards depending on their background or
audience, "inner outrage" and "puck factor" being however especially
fashionable in recent days.

Stefano Vaj