[ExI] Natural law/was Re: Libertarianism wins again...

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 17:45:01 UTC 2011

The way you are using "criminal" below is different from the sense than in Will Steinberg's post from last week where he stated:

"Deregulation will let the biggest organized criminals of all--the corporations--go unchecked."

Don't you agree? He seemed to me to be using it in a different sense -- specifically, in an extra-legal sense, such as one where one might even judge actual laws to be criminal.

Also, this was the sense I was using it in response to you. One might make this more clear by stating that one type of criminal is merely legally defined -- or defined by specific laws of a specific legal authority (whether that legal authority is a state or not). The other type would not be so defined, but would be defined by an appeal to deeper principles -- whether you agree with those principles or not. Do you agree that these would be different meanings for the term? (This isn't to say the two must needs be different. My guess is most legal theorists who appeal to something other than just, "Hey, this is just what the rulers define as 'criminal,' so we must completely assent to their decrees, never questioning this ever," would argue that the idea is to bring the two into line with each other -- almost always to alter the law to conform with the deeper principles and not vice versa.*)

Back to Will's usage. My posts were more in line with responding to that usage. If you're going to merely use "criminal" to mean "breaking current laws, whether these laws are just or not," then sure the man who smokes pot and bothers no one else is as much a criminal as that guy in Oslo who went on a killing spree. But, then, by that usage, there's no reason to share Will's outrage at corporations being the "biggest organized criminals of all." They might be, but this might only mean they've violate arbitrarily set up rules and no more. (There would also be no difference between me waking up today and deciding, arbitrarily, "Will and Stefano are the biggest criminals of all" and similarly expressing my outrage -- save that I'm unlikely to persuade too many others about this... Thankfully so!:)

I can't read Italian well enough to read your book, but, no, natural law of the sort I'm talking about is not "judeo-christian tenet: the only law is the divine law." (I would not conflate natural law or the natural law tradition with either Abrahamic religions (any more than Newton's physics should be thought of as Christian physics) or with divine law. Actually, natural law theorists of old were making the distinction specifically because they believed the tenets were natural -- i.e., discoverable by reason and experience and not revealed by faith or scripture.) It's the tenet, rather, that there are objective laws that human made laws should conform to and these are based on the nature of humans. (And, presumably, this could be extended to any being in question, though my guess is many of the core precepts would be similar across a range of beings -- e.g., the notion of treating persons as ends-in-themselves should act as a side constraint even on
 posthumans and non-human sentients. In other words, true AI doesn't have the right to going on a killing spree simply because it's killing humans or what have you.)

Also, natural law in the libertarian sense and even before basically supported "self-determination, diversity and change" because it restrains human-made law from trampling personal autonomy. In fact, natural law has almost always been at odds with state law is because rulers tend to want to use people for their ends -- almost always thought of as being more noble than allowing individuals to determine for themselves what ends they'll choose.

This comes back, of course, to victimless crimes. The use of natural law or of any sort of critique of existing state laws would proceed, I trust, from appealing to everyone else's deeper views -- in the natural law case, to rights and justice. It wouldn't begin and end with "me no like" or such. If it does, just as a pragmatic matter, it's unlikely to move anyone.**

Regards,

Dan

* Even in conflicts where deeper principles change or seem to change, these are almost always framed in terms of appealing to even deeper principles. Even relativists seem to making just this appeal by appealing to deeper metanorms -- even if they claim to explicitly reject these.

** Of course, to disarm one criticism here, be sure to home in on "pragmatic matter" here. I don't mean that because one is more likely to succeed with such appeals as opposed to just shouting "me no like" while pounding one's chest isn't a justification. (Even so, one might ask why would this work? Some would argue because many already tacitly accept natural law concepts, but I wouldn't offer an argument from popularity here.)