[ExI] Rejecting Socrates

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 17:58:10 UTC 2011

I agree with the parenthetic comment, though I'd point that recognition can often fuel people to do more work -- and some people do actually enjoy if not do things spefically to be recognized. I find nothing wrong with this as such.

And maybe a tiny amount of public relations would help here with giving credit where it's due and making sure it doesn't go where it's not.

Of course, if the conventional view of Socrates is close to the truth about him, he was unlikely to have other steal credit from him for being a pest or a gadfly. Surely, there are people who value that and today Socrates is well remembered for it. (And, to respond to the earlier post by Anders,  while our knowledge of Socrates does come through the flters of Plato, Aristotle (or whoever took notes during his lectures), Xenophanes, and Aristophanes, it's likely they weren't too far off base.)

Regards,

Dan