[ExI] Rejecting Socrates/was Re: Libertarianism wins again...

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Wed Jul 27 17:32:30 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj wrote:
> 2011/7/26 Richard Loosemore <rloosemore at susaro.com
> <mailto:rloosemore at susaro.com>>
>
>     Stefano Vaj wrote:
>

>         "Amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas..."
>
>     Correction:
>
>     "Amicus Plato, amicus Aristoteles magis amica veritas."
>

> Oh, well, there are so many versions of it... :-)
>
> As already mentioned the one I made use of is usually credited to
> Francis Bacon. But practically everybody who ever made use of the
> formula claims to have been quoting, more or less accurately, somebody
> else, so... :-)

Ah, I stand corrected, Stefano, you are quite right.  :-)

I knew only of the fact that Newton wrote it as a slogan to declare his
independence, but when I went checking just now it appears that this
slogan, in various forms, was used throughout the middle ages and may
actually have originated with Aristotle himself (speaking only of Plato).

Richard Loosemore