[ExI] The difference between Discovery and Design.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 17:53:20 UTC 2011

On 7/27/2011 12:26 PM, john clark wrote:

> And if Aristotle had been just a tad smarter he could have come up with
> the Theory of Evolution more than 2 thousand years before Darwin, he had
> everything he needed to do so but genius.

Slick funny line, John, but really very badly wrong. What Aristotle
didn't have was 300 years of closely observed and theorized empirical
science behind him, itself informed (horrors!) by a monotheistic
paradigm that encouraged scientists to assume as their reductionist
default that the multiple worlds of empirical experience at many levels
were basically *unified* and *lawful*. And what he didn't even know he
needed to struggle against was an aristocratic certainty that close
observation was worthless, experiment the domain of slaves and artisans,
etc.  We know this not only by reading the history of science and how it
developed, but because of the "amazing" coincidence that both Darwin and
Wallace came up with the same discovery at the same time--two
instantaneous bursts of astonishing genius beyond the capacity, in your
version, of the greatest minds from 2200 years earlier. "It's (also) the
Zeitgeist, Stupid."

Damien Broderick