[ExI] People are the same?

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 22:45:06 UTC 2011

David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com> wrote:

> We can't sit and wait for the nano-fairy
> to sprinkle us with transhuman goodness. We must, in particular,
> achieve self-sufficient off-Earth enclaves as soon as possible.

Do you think it would be easier/cheaper/quicker to create such off-earth enclaves in the form of habitats capable of supporting biological humans independently and indefinitely, or in the form of substrates capable of supporting uploaded minds, plus the technology to upload minds to them? (I'm thinking of objects roughly the size of cigarette packets, solar-powered, produced in the millions, scattered all over the solar system).

Given the fragility, short lifespan, and sheer unsuitability of biological lifeforms for space, I know which option I'd rather pursue.  Not to mention that in the volume, mass and energy requirements of a single biological human, you could sustain millions (at least) of uploads, for a /lot/ longer.

Ben Zaiboc