[ExI] self-accelerating AI sf?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 30 02:41:17 UTC 2011

On 7/29/2011 9:09 PM, David Lubkin wrote:

> Not all the way to the Singularity, but Stross's current WWW series,

That's either Rob Sawyer's WWW or something I haven't seen, and if the
former it's kinda Spikish but more like the emergence of a mind that can
do a lot of human-scale stuff simultaneously, as I read it. Well, it
does cure cancer and like that, by Nexializing all the extant archived
data, while cleaning out spam, and I guess that fits.

> The Adolescence of P-1,

Never read it. Maybe Astro Teller's equivalent book EXEGESIS does that too.

>Jane in the Ender's books,

I think I shuddered horribly and purged that from my mind. "And then the
superluminal phone network woke up" sort of thing, no?

> John Barnes'
> Century Next Door series

That could be it. I included Barnes's IA singularity in MOTHER OF STORMS.

> I'm a little brain-fogged myself at the  moment, so I'll stop there; how
> thorough an answer are you looking for?

Good start, thanks.