[ExI] Usages of the term libertarianism

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 3 09:41:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:31:34PM -0700, spike wrote:

> Speaking of carbon with regard to Germany's decision to nuke their nukes,

These are not the droids you're looking for.

http://www.iea.org/index_info.asp?id=1959

Forget Kyoto. We'll burn every little piece and drop
and whiff of dead dino we can get our grubby paws on.
Anything else would have been quite surprising.

> what now happens to their Kyoto commitment to reducing CO2 emissions?  Do
> they just blow off that whole notion?  Or can they still try for it by
> pouring on the coal with ground based PVs?

The so-called exit, as planned (assuming you still trust
anything coming out of Berlin, for some unfathomable reason),
won't happen before 2022.

Notice that the current government really really dislikes
solar and wants it dead. Assuming they succeed, we might
not get the scenario from

http://www.renewablesinternational.net/yes-we-have-no-base-load/150/537/29353/

Notice this is cheating, since you're offloading energy-intensive
and dirty processes to developing economies, while importing
the results. Realistically you'd need to account for embedded
energy after net imports/exports, which will be difficult to
compute in pracitce. Notice as these developing economies will
get creamed by peak fossil their output will be likewise severely
impacted, so the developed world will receive the relayed goodness
almost instantly.

Even if we get more than 100% coverage of electricity peak demand
in Germany in 15-20 years this makes zero impact upon fossil gases
and liquids. Much more energy and complete retooling of infrastructure
and processes is needed.

I see very little awareness of the magnitude of the problem
in the general public, and hence zero of it in their political
representatives. I keep restocking my popcorn bags, as this
should get very interesting to watch.