[ExI] Brain emulation, regions and AGI [WAS Re: Kelly's future]

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 15:24:20 UTC 2011

2011/6/3 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> On 2 June 2011 22:26, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that we want AGIs to self-identify as human beings so that
>> they see themselves in brotherhood, rather than in competition, with
>> us.
>
> Since when self-identified humans see themselves in brotherhood, rather than
> in competition? :-)

We can be friends on the playground until you hit my brother, then you
are my enemy. Every politician from George W. Bush to Bill Clinton to
Hitler understood the value of a common enemy as a way of bringing
people closer together. If AGI is the common enemy of man or vice
versa, we're screwed. If an AGI views itself as first American, second
or third as an AGI, then perhaps there is hope that they'll be on "our
side" whatever that is.

> But it is true that it is by no means obvious that if we create additional
> Darwinian machines, be they of a biological, electronic or mixed nature, the
> "us vs them" split should be along the lines of which support one is running
> on, rather than on one the innumerable others already experimented or that
> can still be invented.

Maybe the great civil war will be between Apple and Microsoft AGIs. :-)

> If anything, silicons and carbons are less on the same feeding chain that
> two different carbons.

Thus the worry!

-Kelly