[ExI] Why Cities Keep Growing, Corporations and People Always Die, and Life Gets Faster

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jun 6 05:30:52 UTC 2011

-------------
>> Being private doesn't magically make you better... Damien Sullivan

>### ... I am *sure* you can think your way through to the implications for efficiency... To understand outcomes you need to think in terms of "feedback loop", "module", or "marginal analysis".  Rafal

Being one who is almost completely outside the medical system, either as a provider and (almost entirely) even as a consumer, I have an observation.  I am a controls engineer.  We controls guys think about feedback loops in every control system.  Prices are controlled by negative feedback, just like any dependent variable.  In the medical system, we have one unique area in which government efforts seem to be toward defeating all natural feedback loops.  This would necessarily cause costs to spiral out of control.  The whole "death panels" meme is a kind of substitute feedback system to replace defeated price/demand feedback loop.

The whole single-payer notion unplugs the natural feedback loop.

Regardless of how we end up doing it, all price systems must have some kind of negative feedback loop.  If it isn't consumers just saying no, then it will be government bureaucrats doing the controls.