[ExI] Hydraulic Fracturing

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 02:53:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Barbara Lamar commented to me:
>
> FWIW, ever since they fracked the well next to our land [an hour or so from
> Austin, TX], there have been small black particles in the well water. These
> particles were never there before. Also, the water smells foul, not like
> simple H2S but something else, almost like a dead animal. I wouldn't even
> think of drinking it. I hesitate even to use it for irrigation. Also,
> contrary to what Rafal said, they often frack the wells more than once. I
> know this from personal observation on my own land and from working with
> clients in the oil business, not from something I've read.

### I have a water well back home in Virginia, 300 miles from the
nearest fracking area. Full of black particles, too.

Yes, you are right, wells are fracked multiple times, sometimes over
many years - and I didn't claim otherwise, I just wanted to convey
that they are not fracked continuously.

-------------------------

> Oh, and although they were supposed to dispose of the portion of fracking
> fluid that came back up, and they did end up trucking some of it away (to
> contaminate other land somewhere else, no doubt), they stored much of it in
> open pits. The soil is sandy, so most of the fluid would have percolated
> down into the water table. Yeah, yeah, Rafal would say to sue them. What
> good is that when the courts are bound to consider the public good of having
> cheap oil, rather than individual rights of landowners?

### A court is not supposed to consider cheap oil in deciding a tort
suit. Anybody who destroys your property should pay restitution. Isn't
that what they teach in law school?

Rafal