[ExI] The denial of death, transhumanism, and the abolition of embodiment

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 10 02:58:27 UTC 2011

Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Charles Holland wrote:
>>
>> The first thing that would be different in such a virtual world is the
>> absence of some basic bodily functions: we would no longer require
>> eating (and thus defecating). This is not to say we could not still
>> enjoy it, but it's a constraint released, and thus something we no
>> longer have to find a place for in our worldview.

> Uploads still require virtual bodies in order to function.

Because that notion is twenty different kinds of absurd, I am against
the whole idea.

> These need
> only be adequate - whatever that means - but it seems likely that most
> people would want to have all features of their original bodies and then
> be free to choose what to ignore.

Which begs the question of why so much effort is required simply to get
back to square one when it is far more desirable (to people like me) to
start at square one and evolve directly from there.

--
RECALL ALL CONGRESSMEN EXCEPT RON PAUL!
Presidents cannot be allowed to start wars.