[ExI] Media generations

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 07:32:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> It might also have to do with the realization that your reference culture is
> now significantly different from the culture surrounding you.
>
> The talking heads vs text/blessings of skipping television discussion is
> partially this, partially a realization that certain media are good for some
> things. Since we tend to become used to some media but not others we also
> tend to form "media generations" that prefer using certain media but not
> others. I'm fine with cellphoning but less eager to message, I happily email
> and blog but find twitter rather hopeless as an input source - and social
> networking sites a scary attention diverter. Other people have made or
> adapted to other media choices, and communications between these media
> generations will be limited.

"Certain media are good for some things" - and some are good for nothing!
You have to consider the information content and side-effects in your
media choice.

There are still a few holdouts who refuse to carry a cellphone because
they don't want the continual harassment. (Quite apart from security
worries about continual tracking and recording of all communications).

I recently saw a bitingly funny rant about Twitter.
The comedian pointed out that Tweets were all total rubbish, along the
lines of "I'm going to eat a ham sandwich. Yum, yum!" Who cares?  He
commented that it was as though their brains were leaking
uncontrollably. People who Tweet every detail of their insignificant
lives are basically people who EVEN WHEN THEY ARE ALONE just can't
Shut the f**k up!

BillK