[ExI] Isn't Bostrom seriously bordering on the reactionary?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jun 15 07:57:18 UTC 2011

I often joke that we at FHI are turning into transluddites.

But there is a method to the madness: given the astronomical waste
argument (the potential posthuman future is worth *a lot*)
consequentialists should be *much* more concerned about existential
risks than they commonly are, and the maxipok principle means that we
should try to maximize the chances of surviving - even if that means
being less gung ho about radical new technologies. Similarly,
considerations about the documented limits and biases of human
decisionmaking, together with the realization that the importance of
different priorities/goals may differ by orders of magnitude, makes
ensuring that we focus on the *right* targets a lot more important than
most people realize.

I disagree with Nick mainly about the utility of individual or
collective rationality. He seems to think that rational decisionmaking
can solve key problems by finding optimal solutions; I am not entirely
convinced. I think distributed approaches (let a thousand flowers bloom,
Postrel's dynamism, trial and error) have better chances to get good
outcomes, including inventing regulatory and protective systems against
some of the threats that are emerging. We both agree that finding ways
of reducing the bias and other stupidity-inducing factors have a high
priority.

Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Oh, nothing. Not reactionary, just boring. Nick used to be fun, he
> must be aging fast.

Well, he got troublesome employees like me :-)

(Sometimes reactionary transhumanism is good. Nick's paper on human
dignity for the Presidents Council on Bioethics ruffled a few feathers
by arguing for posthuman dignity from a very conservative standpoint -
they had not expected being forced to criticise their *own* position)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute