[ExI] Isn't Bostrom seriously bordering on the reactionary?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 11:07:08 UTC 2011

On 15 June 2011 12:36, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lobbyists and pressure groups push their POV and those with the
> deepest pockets prevail.
>

>From a historical point of view, most pressure groups and cultural movement
thare are strong used to be weak. Think of environmentalism. Or religious
fondamentalism. Or Open Source. Or single-item movements such as abortion or
vote for women. The same goes for special-interest lobbies, which are
perhaps less comparable.

If transhumanists don't discuss possible problems, then nobody will.

I dare say that the visibility and very existence of transhumanism depends
upon the fact that there are innumerable people and circles discussing the
possible problems involved in its approach, or more precisely its misdeeds,
fundamental dangerousness, and craziness.

So, no, I am not concerned that if we do not take into consideration the
possible good of neoluddite or bioconservative or antipromethean or antitech
or "precautionary" positions nobody else will.

Are we supremely confident that the changes we push for are the best
> choice?

In principle, I am, especially since such changes concern in the first place
the *availability of the relevant options* (I do not think that we are in
the business of pushing people to grow wings: we are in the business of
pushing for a legal, technological and cultural environment when and
individual or a society can if they so like.)

And at the very least, I think the case for them should be made and heard.

--
Stefano Vaj