[ExI] MakerBot

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Thu Jun 16 10:07:53 UTC 2011

On 06/15/11 23:51, Ben Zaiboc wrote:
> Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
>
>> If you have a spare $1,300 lying around, you can get a
>> rather nice personal manufacturing system:
>>
>> http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html
>

> Much more to the point, I think, is RepRap, as it aims to be self-replicating, unlike Makerbot.
>
> http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> I think it's cheaper, too, if you want to buy a kit: ~400 Euros.

Makerbot sells two different machines.  The Thing-o-matic that Max
linked to is the newer one.  The CupCake is their previous model and is
currently going for US$455.
http://store.makerbot.com/cupcake-cnc-ultimate.html
(I'm in the slow process of building one)

RepRap isn't really a machine, but more of a project/framework. The two
standard models are I think Darwin and Mendel, but the Makerbot models
could probably be considered RepRaps too.  They use many of the same
electronic components and they share a lot of the software.

AFAICT, the RepRap models aren't any more self-replicatable than the
MakerBot models.  They both can replicate the joints and frameworks but
neither can replicate their metal rods and electronics.