[ExI] Isn't Bostrom seriously bordering on the reactionary?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:06:51 UTC 2011

On 16 June 2011 10:54, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> For example, at present most of our conclusions suggest that a
> uploading-driven singularity is more survivable than an AI-driven
> singularity.

Doesn't such conclusion imply an acritical definition of survival under
which AIs would not qualify as "legitimate" offspring of their creators?

Having said that, I have been insisting for years upon the idea that those
denouncing transhumanism and its risks are our best allies in the short
term, if anything because they have been granting our ideas and themes a
visibility which had it been for our own strength they would have never
enjoyed.

But an entirely different story is ending up *agreeing* with them on the
merits - with the minor qualification that perhaps things can be steered for
the best if we are cautious enough and that technology itself can be
instrumentalised to prevent further paradigm shifts or evolutionary changes
- when the real risk is to end up in a semi-stagnant Brave-New-Worldish,
utilitarian scenario which I certainly would not qualify as "survival" of
anything which would deserve to be protected.

--
Stefano Vaj