[ExI] Isn't Bostrom seriously bordering on the reactionary?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 17 13:26:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:43:31AM +0100, BillK wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > As we never left Africa, Keith doesn't exist.
> >

> It was clever monkeys that left Africa - not intelligences living a
> million times faster than the 'real' world. Reality stops

Subjective travel time: zero. Intelligence of a seed: zero.
Postecosystem diversity: very large.

We reaching out and making universe alive: priceless.

> for these beings. The outside universe is 'frozen' for them.

This guy never happened http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_species is just a word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_succession is just a myth.

I'm arguing with a figment of my imagination. Wait: I don't exist.

> > Life is pretty good at restructuring their habitat into something
> > liveable. You're not moving somewhere because the pebbles are rounder,
> > but because there's a city.
> >

> You won't / can't move when you are part of the hive-mind living in a

Then we leave hive-mind behind, and spread happily ever after.
Self-selection for expansiveness is a really nice trait.

> universe where effectively nothing happens outside of the hive.

According to you, bees, termites, ants and naked rat-moles are
unobservable. As are people.

> Resistance is futile.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.